Boys Varsity Hockey Wins in Week but Drops Games on Weekend

Canton 3, Norwood Norfolk 2

The Bears won a thriller of a game on Wednesday night in the Canton Pavillion against the Flyers in overtime. Canton picked up its first win on that night, the game-winning goal scored by none other than Senior Defenseman Nate Romano with two seconds left in overtime and as it was scored the rink got so loud you might have thought it was going to come down.

Canton got off to a hot start in this game, striking first with a goal from Josh Aldous just about seven minutes into the first period. And at just about the same time in the second period Aldous scored his second goal of the game and gave the Bears the two goal advantage, with a little more than a period-and-a-half to play.

At the start of the third tensions were high, Norwood was struggling to score and were getting frustrated. They just couldn’t get the puck past Sophomore goaltender Daniel Creurer, who was playing a very solid game in net for the Bears. Then a big hit from Canton’s Drew Blevins on a Norwood player resulted in an all-out old fashion brawl between the two teams and ended up getting two players kicked out of the game. This fight produced multiple penalties which caused the Bears to be short handed for multiple minutes on end.

The Flyers capitalized on these opportunities, scoring two goals in the third and tying the game up, 2-2 as we headed into overtime. The entire period of overtime was intense, both goalies were standing strong, multiple shots from Drew Blevins rocked the post that would have ended the game.

Eventually there was five seconds left with the puck in the corner and another overtime seemed to be on the horizon. But then freshman defenseman Jack Brandy crossed the puck between multiple Flyers defenders onto Nate Romano’s waiting stick and the puck was put in the back of the net as time expired.

Thousand Islands 7, Canton 1

The Bears traveled to Thousand Islands on Jan. 6 night to kick off their weekend trip which consisted of a game on Friday night and another game on Saturday night in Ithaca. Unfortunately Canton lost this contest 7-1 in what was supposed to be a close game but unfortunately did not end up that way.

The Bears got off the bus on Friday night excited for the weekends double header. After the first period of play Canton was only down one, with the score being 2-1 and the goal being scored by Reed Doyle. But then in the next two periods of play the Bears were outscored 5-0, goaltender Daniel Creurer was peppered with shots on goal and the defense struggled against the Vikings attack. Canton struggled but looked to turn it around as they traveled to Ithaca for their game the next day.

Canton 1, Ithaca 5

The Bears lost their third and final game of the week on Saturday against the Ithaca Bears. With a final score of 5-1 in favor of the Ithaca Little Red, although the Bears lost by four the score does not tell the whole story of the game.

The entire game was tight, with zero goals being scored in the first as Canton’s goaltender, junior Landan Denner, was sprayed with shots by Ithaca. And then in the second it stayed just about the same with only two goals scored total, one for Canton and one for Ithaca. Canton’s goal was scored by junior Drew Blevins, and as the third period started the game was tied one to one. But then an onslaught of shots by Ithaca caused the Bears to let up four goals in one period and end up losing the game as a whole.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: