Canton Men’s League Soccer Team Remains Unbeaten

The Canton Men’s League Summer Soccer Team, sponsored by Locke Design and Build, Canton Sergi’s, Josie’s Pizzeria, Stadium Sports Bar, K&S Cropping, and Potsdam Little Italy, has stayed undefeated through their first seven games of the summer season. On Wednesday, June 22, the boys in red traveled to Madrid-Waddington Central School to take on the defending champs. This game proved to be a barn burner, as they battled to a 0-0 draw.

Both teams created several scoring chances to try and take the lead, but neither could convert on their opportunities. Canton keeper Jake Mattice came up big again making eight saves to backstop the shutout behind a stout defensive effort from his defenders. This game provided some fireworks as the Canton players Jacob Oatman (0g, 1a) and Eric Shinnik were shown yellow cards for rough play.

Continuing on their undefeated streak, the boys in red defeated Ogdensburg Pepsi 3-0 on Sunday, June 26 at Kennedy Field. Canton took a 1-0 lead into the halftime break on a goal scored by Peyton Snell (9g, 4a). Stuart Ayers (2g, 3a) played a long ball over the top of the defense perfectly to Snell’s foot who buried into the bottom corner of the net for the lead, and his ninth goal of the summer, which is tied for the league lead.

Canton went on to score two more goals by Travis Jordan (7g, 7a) in the second half to finish the game off. The second goal coming early in the second half assisted by Kingsley Wesley (1g, 1a) on a nice give-and-go. Jordan’s second goal came off a free-kick that was botched by the Pepsi goalkeeper and into the net. Sam Martin (1g, 4a) stood tall in the Canton net, making five saves en route to his first ever summer league win, and shutout.

In game seven of the summer for the Canton Men’s League Summer Soccer Team, then salvaged a 2-2 tie with Colton. The boys are still undefeated, but this was a true test to keeping that record intact. Colton jumped out to an early 1-0 lead and held on to it for much of the first half. Travis Jordan (9G, 7A) scored late in the first half for Canton, on an assist from Peyton Snell (9g, 5A). The game would go into the break tied at one apiece. Colton would come out fast again and take the lead midway through the second half, thinking they had sealed the win for sure. But the boys in red were not about to lose their first game of the season like that.

Lleyton Ladue in his first game of the summer, made a strong effort down the left side of the field to attack the defense, crossing a ball into the box where Nate Butler (3g, 2a) touched the ball back to Jordan at the top of the box, where he placed a shot in the right-side mesh to tie the game 2-2 with one minute left. The game would finish in a deadlock, with both teams battling hard but neither could keep the lead. Jake Mattice finished the game strong making six saves to keep the game tied for Canton.

The boys will be taking a brief break heading into the midway point of the season and returned to action at home vs rival Potsdam, on Wednesday at 6:30 at Canton Central School. Stay tuned for more action, and to see if the boys in red can keep the undefeated streak alive!

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: