The Canton Golden Bears Boys Varsity Hockey Team suffered their final defeat this season, losing 10-2 to the Suffern Mounties.
The Bears found themselves down early and they never recovered against the fast Suffern forwards. Canton was down 7-0 after 2 periods of play but never gave up, and scored 2 goals in the third, one from Drew Blevins and the other from Rhett Palmer with 3 seconds left.
The Bears finish the season 12-11, with a Section X Championship, a tournament win, and a lot of fond memories.
Some interesting statistics:
- Of the 12 Canton wins, 9 were by only a single goal.
- The Bears never lost in overtime.
- Canton scored no empty net goals this year.
- Rhett Palmer had the most goals, points, and assists.
- Kaden Baxter tallied the most time in the box.
- 13 players scored for Canton and 14 players had points.
- Hayden Todd saved just over 9 out of 10 shots he faced.
- The Bears spent over 100 hours on the ice just for practice this season.
These facts do not show one thing about this team, their heart. Canton’s desire to win despite the odds this year shows their character. A lot of games came right down to the wire, and time and time again the Bears found ways to win.
The Bears would like to thank the rink staff, Ryan, Bobby, and Meghan, for keeping the ice in great shape and helping however they could, our coaches, Anthony, Jake, Rob (from the Bank), and Mark, for helping guide us through another great season, all our supporters, friends, and family who saw us through tough times and also saw our greatest moments, and of course, Bill Porter our Athletic Director for everything he does behind the scenes to make a season run smoothly.