Hello Golden Bears!!
I am very excited to announce some more positive news regarding athletics!! Our board of education supported a plan to allow “Fall 2” (a.k.a. early spring season) sports to begin last evening. I am exceptionally grateful to have the support of our school board and for the hours of work which has been logged by our school superintendent Mr. Ron Burke!!
There are a few items which we will need from you prior to your athlete being able to participate this coming Monday. The first is an Activities Permission Form. There are obvious risks involved with athletics. Add a virus like to Covid-19 to the mix and that risk increases. Although we have a well devised plan in place which works to mitigate this risk, we will not be able to eliminate it. The signed consent form basically means that you understand this and are willing to allow your son or daughter to participate.
The second form is the standard Interval Health History form from the State Education Department. Given that they recently added a new portion pertaining to Covid-19, we’ll need to ask you to complete this form as well. Those students who have tested positive for Covid-19 at any time will need additional clearance which our school nurse Candy Bates will assist you with.
The third is a Covid-19 Testing Consent Form for those families wishing to have their athlete tested. All of these forms have been emailed to those parents and guardians of athletes who have signed up for a Fall 2 Sport. For those who may not have received the, please contact Bill Porter. Please consider the first two items mentioned as your athlete’s “ticket” into practice. Athletes should be prepared to hand these documents to your coach or Mr. Porter. You may also choose to have them scanned and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
CCS First Day Practice Schedule: Monday, March 22
Girls Varsity Volleyball- Coach Carla Wentworth, 2:30-4:00 in the High School Gym
Girls Modified Basketball- Coach Jim Disalvo, 2:30-3:30 in the Middle School Gym
Modified Girls Swimming– Coach Suzanne Creurer, 2:30-3:45 in the pool
Varsity Football Practice (grades 9-12)- Head Coach Tom Cloce, 3:30-5:00 Outdoors- meet by the equipment room behind the school.
Varsity Girls Swimming– Coach Meg McGovern, 3:30-5:45 in the pool.
Modified Boys Basketball– Coach Jarrod Flener, 3:45-4:45 in the middle school gym
Modified Girls Volleyball– Coach Kate Porter, 5:00-6:00 in the Middle School Gym
JV Girls Volleyball– Coach Rob Brown, 6:30-8:00 in the Middle School Gym
The remaining season practice schedule can be found at the Athletic Department Website and at the link below
Relevant items for the first day.
- Each athlete needs to have on file or bring the two forms mentioned above. Three forms if you choose to test your athlete.
- Each athlete needs to bring his/her own water bottle.
- Plan to have no access to locker rooms for changing.
- Restrooms will be available of course.
- Swimmers will be provided a location to change in very small groups and have access to restrooms in the locker room.
- Plan to pick up your athlete as soon as practice ends and do not arrive early. We want to avoid crossing with other teams as much as possible.
- All athletes and coaches will need to wear masks at all times with the exception of swimmers in the water.
- Coaches understand the limited activity which many of our students have had and are prepared to phase our athletes back into appropriate physical conditioning.
Our Coach Goals for 2021
1. Hold successful practices without injuries to our athletes or shutdowns due to COVID-19.
2. Participate in a few games or meets without incident.
3. Make this season a success so that the spring sports season is supported.
4. Honor and show our appreciation for our senior athletes and get our athletes back together to improve mental and physical health.
5. Winning- Although we are all competitors, it is not as important as the items listed above this year.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT during this ever evolving landscape!