Addressing the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic in a manner that is focused on the health and safety of all remains a priority of the Canton Central School District. The participation in Section X interscholastic athletics by our students was discussed in depth by the Board of Education during a presentation on the safety measures that are being developed last evening.
In making their decision, the Board weighed the many benefits of sports with the risk posed by additional interactions through interscholastic contests. After considerable deliberation, athletics will proceed in the following manner:
- Varsity Soccer and Varsity Cross-Country will participate in the Fall Section X Interscholastic Program starting on Monday, September 21.
- JV and Modified Soccer and Cross-County will not participate in the Section X Interscholastic Program.
- Mr. Porter will convene a committee to develop a program for JV and Modified athletes that will focus on skill development and conditioning.
- The goal is for the JV and Modified programs to be ready to start on Monday, September 28.
- On Thursday, September 24, the Board of Education will meet at 6:45 to consider the approval of the proposed JV an Modified programs. This meeting will be virtual with public access through Facebook.